Saturday, January 14, 2012

Love, Sunshine and lots of Photos

We are two weeks into the New Year and I am sure it is still ok to say "Happy New Year"?!?. As readers to my blog, you know that I love taking photos and I'm very addicited to my Copic Markers and 2012 will be no exception!! That is why I thought, I might dedicate my first post of the year to a bit of both!!

Over the past few years I have participated in a Photo a Day type project. In 2009 I joined a group of friends online and we encouraged and challenged each other to commitment to the project. In 2010, I played along with my online friends again and continued to take my scheduled "photo-a-day". It was  fabulous and a whole heap of fun! At the end of the year I completed a two volume  Digital Scrapbook....below is look at the pages pertaining to my Week 5 of this project.


In 2011 I continued to take my scheduled "photo-a-day", but sadly the photos I took are still sitting on my computer. Sometime during the year I got a little lost...life was throwing me a few curve balls and my project came to a bit of standstill. I was still taking photos -  but not daily! - and when the year ended I was very disappointed with myself....I stressed over it for awhile then decided not to worry...I could always go back and present my 2011 photos in a monthly format and slowly this is what I am doing. Now in 2012, I am going to make the effort of continuing the tradition of recording my daily activities and family life in photos.


These 2012 layouts are all in Digital format and were created in Creative Memories Storybook Creator Plus using the Digital Kit "Garden Tranquility".

I really love the concept of a Photo-a-Day...it makes me look at ordinary things in extraordinary ways, it improves my photography skills, and leaves me with a snapshot of "the year that was" for our family. I encourage everyone to give it a try - you won't be disappointed!

My feature photo for Week 1 of 2012 was the inspiration for my latest card creations. It portrays Summer Fun.... as does Beach Marci, a sweet stamp from the La La Land Crafts Stamps range, available in the Mad for Markers store. The bright pink inflatable ring, blonde hair of my daughter and the blue/green of the water all inspired my chose of Copic colours for these cards.

For my first card I reached for my favourite pink and purple colour combinations -
Copics Used:

Skin -E11, E01, E000/Cheeks R20
Hair - Y21, Y23, Y25
Sun-Hat - BG11, BG13, BG15, R81, R83, R85
Swim Suit - V12, V15, V17, BG11, BG13, BG15,
Inflatable Ring - R81, R83, R85, BG11, BG13, BG15

I also used a little bling in the centre of the floral design of the inflatable ring and the sun hat...and some more of that great adhesive paper lace I mentioned in my last post!

I was a little more adventurous for my second card, challenging myself to use a more vivid pink combination of Copics and a little air-brushing.

Copics Used:

Skin -E11, E01, E000/Cheeks R20
Hair - Y21, Y23, Y25
Sun-Hat/Inflatable Ring - RV02, RV04, RV06, RV09, V12, V15, V17
Swim Suit - V12, V15, V17, BG11, BG13, BG15
Sky -B12
Grass - BG10

The sentiment "We all grow better in Sunshine and Love" is something my Mum says - I generated it on my computer using the font CKJournalling...which is the same font I used on my 2012 Photo-a-Day layouts.
I love how you can take one image and get so many different looks for your cards just by varying your colour choices. If you would like experiment with some new colour combinations yourself... be sure to pop over to the Mad for Markers Challenge Blog where the DT team have been sharing their wonderful creations and some fabulous Copic combinations....and remember, now is a perfect time to add some new colours to your collection - every marker purchased from the Mad for Markers store.. earns you some free goodies in the Copics Rewards Program.







12 comments:

Miranda said...

Done it Chris I starting following you and not only because of your 366 photos, but I do love your cards too!!!

michellek said...

Thanks for posting your blog link on FB. Somehow I hadn't added your blog to my google reader and had forgotten about it. So thanks for the reminder - I love the inspiration I get from looking at what you've done.

Macy Goode Designs said...

Your cards are UH-MAZING!! Beautiful!!

Sammi said...

I love those CM layouts... looks GREAT!! I also really LOVE those Beach Marci cards.. you have such a great mind/ eye for colour and design! :D
Sammi
xxx

Jo Cullen said...

After seeing your layout for "photo a day" and another traditional layout online only last night, I am inspired to play catch up for January (I have already taken a heap of photos anyhow) and capture my 2012 'life'. Thanks for your constant inspiration Chris!

Veronica said...

What I tried to write last night but it wouldn't let me post (something was going haywire on the iPad):

Gorgeous cards as always. I've tidied up my "happy room" and plan to do some cards myself...hopefully today!

As for the photo a day project, both Dianne and I are still on track. I plan to digi-scrap mine as a month to a DPS and I may also paper scrap them (to keep Di happy, since she doesn't digi-scrap ;))

Kazzy V said...

Love these cards Chrissy - just beautiful. Have so far resisted the copic urge but every time I see your stuff the pull gets stronger.
I still havent unpacked my "craft" boxes but have been digi scrapping and enjoying that - I do miss my paper though.

Babette; Chiquita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babette; Chiquita said...

Love your site Chris ~ the temptation to get some Copic markers has become a high priority lol. Love everything about your Blog ~ so inspirational.

Wendy O'Keeffe said...

OMG Chris where do you get the time to be so incredibly creative? I love your blog.I love genealogy and traditional scrapbooking and am now right into digi scrapbooking - I even made all my Christmas cards using Storybook Creator. However, I've never used Copics and, after seeing your beautiful cards, that might be my next creative endeavour! Thanks.

Michelle said...

I love visiting Chris ... you are so clever!!!! I love the cards!!! just gorgeous!!!!!I updated my blog tonight ... only been 7 months.. hahahaha you have inspired me to get back into it!! xxxxxx

Unknown said...

I love your photo a day Chris. It looks fabulous! Your cards are so beautifully coloured. Have a great day : )
Alicia xx